PLEASE Vote for Us!!!!!!

Friday, September 5, 2014

Borax (Thank You Purex insiders'!!!)

disclaimer:  I received the products below for free from Purex Insiders in exchange for sharing my opinions with our readers.  All opinions remain my own.

 



 

Mommy in GA:  I want to start by saying, You can use Borax for SO many different things!! Here are just a few to name off the top of my head:
Household cleaner
deoderizing (sprinkle it in your carpet!)
Use it to make a candle wick

Now to tell you about my FAVORITE purpose for borax: 

HOME-MADE Laundry Detergent
This is super easy to make and also super wallet friendly :)

My post is a little late but, the good news is I am also including my fels naptha review in this one too :)
I received both products from my friends' at purex insiders'  :)
 

 
To make your homemade laundry deterget, I got the recipe from a friend and made my own tweaks to it to fit my life.  I have 4 kids so when detergent is a little too pricey this is my fall back!  Although you have to admit PUREX is very fair priced and they run a lot of good deals'!

I used my coupons and samples of Borax and fels naptha from purex insiders' and I also bought oxi clean (to help get those whites white) and a normal sized purex crystal (To get that great long lasting scent!!) and arm and hammer washing powder. I used a cheese grater to finely grate my  ONE bar Fels naptha into a pot and added 4 cups of water.  Put it on the stove over a medium- low heat and stir constantly till your fels naptha melts (about 10 minutes)
Next you get a 5 gallon bucket and pour your melted felsnaptha  into it and add 1 cup of Borax and 1/2 a cup of arm and hammer WASHING (Not Baking) powder, I also added about a 1/4 cup of the oxi clean and 1/2 my container of purex crystals, mix all of this together adding additional water to fill your 5 gallon bucket the rest of the way.

 
After mixing it well let it sit over night.
Okay now while I am waiting, I still had time and some products' on hand so I took and grated another ONE bar of fels naptha, got another 5 gallon bucket, dumped just the grated fels- naptha (DO NOT melt this one!) and my almost full box of borax, the rest of my arm and hammer washing soda, a little oxi clean (this can vary on what you want to add!) and my purex crystals, Stir well and ta da you have a pwder laundry detergent as well!!  Put a lid on it and set it in the laundry room, ready to go!
Now that I had a good night sleep I am ready to finish my liquid batch :)

 
I pull my 5 gallon bucket out, mix your liquid well,  and get my containers' ready, (I used ALL purex containers and 1 one gallon milk jug) you fill your container with half water and half of your laundry detergent and give it a little shake and put it away to be used!

If you have an H ~e washer you should get about 625 loads from one batch of the liquid and I am not really sure how much I get out of my partial thing of powder. The liquid will vary in color depending on how much purex crystals you add or if you use any at all.

 
If I had paid for the fels naptha (.97 a bar) and 3 dollars in change for your borax and washing powder each and another 3 or 4 dollars for your purex crystals BUT, If you just do the liquid you could buy 3 bars of fels naptha and you would have enough of your other stuff to get at least 3 batches, that is 1875 ish loads of laundry!!! For a whopping 15ish dollars, that is what I call a bang for your buck!!!! 

THANK YOU Purex Insiders' for letting me use your GREAT products' to save some money on laundry detergent for all these kids' clothes :)

No comments: