PLEASE Vote for Us!!!!!!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

"Everything That Remains"

disclaimer:  We received the book below for free in exchange for our honest opinions.  All opinions remain our own.
 
 
 
"Everything That Remains" :  A Memoir by the Miniamalists
by Joshua Fields Milburn & Ryan Nicodemus
 
 
 
  As you can tell from the title this is a book about minimalism.  Minimalism is basically people living with only the things they need and not holding onto a bunch of useless possessions. 
 
 
  Joshua and Ryan were both making good money in high paying jobs.  After Joshua's mother passes away and he is getting divorced he realizes that although he had pretty much anything he wanted he just wasn't happy. 
 
 
  Joshua is the first one to attempt the minimalist lifestyle.  He eventually convinces Ryan to try it too.  Now they have their own website TheMinimalists.com where they keep people updated on how their own minimalist lifestyle is going along with tips for others to start their journey to a life with little extra baggage. 
 
 
  The book takes us from the beginning of Joshua's lifestyle change the whole way through to their success on their website and the books that followed.
 
 
  Mommy in GA:  Mommy in GA hasn't had a chance to read the book yet but says she will get around to it once her kids leave the house LOL!  You know how kids are and wanting to save every little thing they've ever owned.  "Don't throw that away...it's my favorite". 
 
 
  Mommy in PA:  This was a great book, I didn't want to put it down.  It really inspired me to start taking inventory of all the useless stuff I have been holding onto for years.
 
 
  Mommy in GA and I were so excited to get a chance to review this book because almost every time we talk (which is almost daily) we talk about clutter and trying to keep our houses tidied up.  Less possessions = Less time cleaning!
 
 
  The book is mainly about Joshua's experiences but is peppered throughout with helpful and sometimes comical comments from Ryan.  The only thing I didn't care for is how they put the numbers for reference in the text but then you had to go the whole way to the back of the book to find out what Ryan said.  I think they should have just put his comments at the bottom of the pages to make it easier.  There were times I would read three or four pages before I realized I had missed some of Ryan's comments. 
 
 
  I love the part about them packing up all of Ryan's stuff in his apartment, the "Packing Party"  (some packing up just involved covering the furniture so that it would have to be uncovered to access it.  Then Ryan would only take out items that he actually needed for the next 21 days.  After the 21 days was up then they would donate, sell, or trash the remaining items.  If it wasn't for the rest of my family I would do this in a heartbeat.  I know for a fact that there are things in my son's room that haven't been played with in over a year.  But I know for a fact too that if I went and got rid of something he'd ask for it the next day.
 
 
  This book has really motivated me.  I've gathered up about 7 bags of clothes that need hauled off to Goodwill and two big boxes of stuff that I plan on selling or donating and I still have tons of stuff to go through.  Thanks Joshua & Ryan for making me see that my time is way too valuable to spend it all cleaning up and organizing the things I don't really need. 
 
  To get free tickets to see the Minimalists in a city near you just go to their site here to check for tour dates.

No comments: